We are very excited to be gearing up for the 2018 Confirmation Class of the Presbyterian Church of Toms River and we want you to be a part of it! This is an exciting time in the life of a student as you begin to examine what you believe and why you believe it.
The confirmation process will take you on a journey of exploring your faith and seeks to provide you with a foundational understanding of our Christian faith, tradition, and Presbyterian practices in a fun and engaging format. At the end of the class, if you chose, you will be given the opportunity to publicly profess your faith in Jesus Christ through you own Statement of Faith and to choose whether you are ready to make a commitment to our church by becoming a member! This program is designed for students who are in 8th grade and older.
We will have an Informational Meeting with parents and students on Sunday, January 7th at 12:00pm in the Haven to go over details and answer any questions you may have. Classes will be on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 -7:30pm at PCTR and will meet from January 17th to March 21st. We will conclude with a service on Saturday, March 24th at 6:00pm with families, friends, members of the congregation and the Elders of the church and Confirmation Sunday on March 25th at the 11am service where students will be welcomed by the congregation. A light reception will follow the 11am service.
There are some requirements throughout the course as you affirm your faith and commitment:
- Memorization of the Books of the Bible, the Lord’s Prayer, the Apostle’s Creed, and the 10 Commandments. (It’s not as hard as it sounds!)
- Attending church at least 3 out of 4 Sundays for the duration of the class and submitting the bulletins.
- Attending at least 5 outside programs or events of the Youth Ministry.
- Meeting with a mentor from the church several times throughout the class.
- Completing a Faith & Family discussion packet with your parent(s).
- Completing a Personal Statement of Faith, to share with the Elders of the church.
Upon completion of the class and upon your profession of faith in Christ you will be received by the elders of the church and given the opportunity to join the church as a member. If you have any questions please contact me at [email protected] or in the church office at 732-349-1331 x244.
We are excited about this year’s class and hope you will consider joining us as we explore the treasures of our faith!
– Scott Slawson